Artwork for Homebrew

Nytwyng
Emperor
Emperor

Artwork for Homebrew

Post by Nytwyng »

It's the perennial problem: You're working on a homebrew work - as simple as an NPC or as involved as a whole sourcebook - and you can't find artwork that really fits like you'd want. Since it's not something that can be sold (like, say, the Genesys Foundry), sinking money into commissioning art isn't necessarily realistic (especially for larger projects). But, at the same time, you know it's a jerk move to ask artists to do the work "fOr ThE eXpOsUrE."

So...what do you do? Do you make do with "good enough" (or worse) that you can find pre-existing? Or do you know/have an artist who likes playing in LFL's IP sandbox for the fun of it, the same way you like putting together material in the IP for fun and provide you with art?

Inquiring minds want to know.
Sturn
Gonk Droid
Gonk Droid

Re: Artwork for Homebrew

Post by Sturn »

For creations you aren't selling, there are lots of pieces of artwork available which could be considered "creative commons". For past Star Wars projects, I've Googled until I found pieces of art I liked. I try to give credit, or ask permission when able, but most art I've found doesn't have a source at all. If you don't feel like using art from an unknown source, then I would go to Deviant art (looking for artists that don't mind free use for free creations of yours) or look for creative commons stuff.

For basic stuff, I'm no graphic artist, but I've delved into making my own. I make maps, deckplans, and very basic "decorative" art.
Nytwyng
Emperor
Emperor

Post by Nytwyng »

That’s what I’ve been doing for years, but sometimes it just doesn’t turn up results. For instance, Porgo Goo in End of the Line: A couple hours of searching didn’t turn up anything suitable resembling the art from Galaxy Guide 6, and unlike a couple other pieces from that book, I just couldn’t play with it enough in Photoshop for it to look good. So, I settled for “close enough” in Billy Barty in the Masters of the Universe movie.

In a perfect world, I could draw more than a stick figure and have it look decent. But, I can’t.
Sturn
Gonk Droid
Gonk Droid

Post by Sturn »

I feel ya. I've got a massive Genesys-Foundry project I'm working on. I would like to set a very cheap price for it. So, the art problem is compounded. I've got a few pieces I can legally use. I've got maps and some gear art I made myself. I've got a few decorations I've made myself. But I have no answer for anything else. I don't want to spend hundreds of dollars on art to make it look better, then realistically probably only sell 10 copies at $3 each for a net Foundry profit of $15. :D
Nytwyng
Emperor
Emperor

Post by Nytwyng »

That is absolutely the thing.

With Star Wars content, there are obviously people to make Star Wars artwork just for fun. On the one hand, you’d think it could be a match made in heaven...but on the other hand, (universal editorial) you don’t wanna be the person saying, “Wanna make me some o’ that free Star Wars art?”