How to Teach the SWRPG System?

FickleDroid
Gonk Droid
Gonk Droid

How to Teach the SWRPG System?

Post by FickleDroid »

Hello all!

I've been a long-time lurker on the FFG forums, but never actually played the game. I have most of the Age of Rebellion books, including the Starter Set. I'm finally working towards getting a campaign going, but first I need to figure out how to both convince my group to play a non-D20 game and teach them the system at the same time. What have others done in my position? Are there any tools/aids that would useful to ease the transition?

MTFBWY
ExpandingUniverse
Gonk Droid
Gonk Droid

Re: How to Teach the SWRPG System?

Post by ExpandingUniverse »

I would give them a test session before they commit to making PCs - as this is wasting their time and yours.... run a In Media Res combat session against a bunch of goons chasing them down back to the ship,... with a BBEG at the space dock..

In their path place escaped beasties, belligerent jawas, stray droids, lost children, rickety market stalls, empty cardboard boxes...sorted
GMLovlie
Gonk Droid
Gonk Droid

Post by GMLovlie »

The AoR starter set is nice, but perhaps not an ideal entry into the game. The Edge of the Empire starter set is perhaps more accessible, in my opinion, or the free starter set inspired by the Rebels tv-show that you can find here.

But teaching this game is done best with some in media res, as the poster above suggests, and some simple action and social encounters using the narrative dice. Then gradually increase the complexity per encounter - i.e. introduce 2 strain = extra maneuver later (unless they ask for more), and so on.
Irregularly updated, collection of thoughts.
Current campaign, rarely updated.
FickleDroid
Gonk Droid
Gonk Droid

Post by FickleDroid »

ExpandingUniverse wrote: 3 years ago I would give them a test session before they commit to making PCs - as this is wasting their time and yours.... run a In Media Res combat session against a bunch of goons chasing them down back to the ship,... with a BBEG at the space dock..

In their path place escaped beasties, belligerent jawas, stray droids, lost children, rickety market stalls, empty cardboard boxes...sorted
So sort of an action trailer SWRPG greatest hits in a condensed, In Media Res, format? That makes sense.
GMLovlie wrote: 3 years ago The AoR starter set is nice, but perhaps not an ideal entry into the game. The Edge of the Empire starter set is perhaps more accessible, in my opinion, or the free starter set inspired by the Rebels tv-show that you can find here.

But teaching this game is done best with some in media res, as the poster above suggests, and some simple action and social encounters using the narrative dice. Then gradually increase the complexity per encounter - i.e. introduce 2 strain = extra maneuver later (unless they ask for more), and so on.
I'll take a look at the Rebels starter set. What makes you recommend that or the Edge of the Empire starter set over the AoR one?
GMLovlie
Gonk Droid
Gonk Droid

Post by GMLovlie »

Primarily, as I had better experience running the fan-made one, and poor luck with the Age of Rebellion one. That had probably something to do with the players' mindset, being less keen on "in the midst of war!" gaming.

The Edge of the Empire one has also received a lot of praise - so I don't recommend it based on my experience, as I ran the beta-adventure Crates of Krayts or something way back when I taught my group.
FickleDroid
Gonk Droid
Gonk Droid

Post by FickleDroid »

GMLovlie wrote: 3 years ago Primarily, as I had better experience running the fan-made one, and poor luck with the Age of Rebellion one. That had probably something to do with the players' mindset, being less keen on "in the midst of war!" gaming.

The Edge of the Empire one has also received a lot of praise - so I don't recommend it based on my experience, as I ran the beta-adventure Crates of Krayts or something way back when I taught my group.
Gotcha. That makes sense. Coming from D&D, I think my group would be just fine with the "in the midst of war" mindset of AoR. I'll be sure to report back whenever I DO get a game off the ground. Still running a D&D campaign that has only just started, so I need to finish that for my fantasy-minded group before I can try and entice them to my true love: Star Wars.
Wrenn
Gonk Droid
Gonk Droid

Post by Wrenn »

Ah, yes, trying to entice the DnD group to play Star Wars. The bane of my existence. :roll:
GMLovlie
Gonk Droid
Gonk Droid

Post by GMLovlie »

Star Wars is fantasy in my book, mixed with Western/Samurai, replacing the horse with a spaceship, and the neighbouring town/dungeon, with a planet. But I get the desire to run Star Wars, rather than a re-skinned fantasy game - you need players that are invested in the Star Wars aspect of it. This can be a challenge, not with the system I think, but with investment and engagement in the franchise/storyverse. It's still doable, and most players would prefer to play to not play. ;)
FickleDroid
Gonk Droid
Gonk Droid

Post by FickleDroid »

Wrenn wrote: 3 years ago Ah, yes, trying to entice the DnD group to play Star Wars. The bane of my existence. :roll:
“We seem to be made to suffer. It’s our lot in life.”
GMLovlie wrote: 3 years ago Star Wars is fantasy in my book, mixed with Western/Samurai, replacing the horse with a spaceship, and the neighbouring town/dungeon, with a planet. But I get the desire to run Star Wars, rather than a re-skinned fantasy game - you need players that are invested in the Star Wars aspect of it. This can be a challenge, not with the system I think, but with investment and engagement in the franchise/storyverse. It's still doable, and most players would prefer to play to not play. ;)
Right, from a literary standpoint it is fantasy, but superficially it doesn’t pull on any of the fantasy heartstrings that people (especially D&D players) are used to.

To your second point, that’s always been the problem for me. I can’t seem to find any Star Wars fans in my local gaming community. Granted my FLGS is definitely D&D and MtG dominated with a growing stock of board games.
Nytwyng
Emperor
Emperor

Post by Nytwyng »

Of the four Beginner Games (five if you count the Rebels one...Rancor Publishing Group did an awesome job on their Rebels content), I've found that the Edge of the Empire BG tends to get players (especially new players) to buy into the scenarios a little quicker than the others. I've played through the Age of Rebellion BG a couple of times (our GM runs several groups organized through Meetup, and has scheduled the various Beginner Games as a way of introducing the system to potential new players...some of us who are his more experienced players will often sign up for the BG sessions to help shoulder the burden of explaining how things work...and to have some fun), and find that, if the players really pay attention to how their mission is set up, think creatively, and - of course - get good rolls, they can bypass a lot of what's intended for them and be done with the Beginner Game in about 30-45 minutes, so it's definitely wise to have the downloadable follow-up or something else ready to go. (I've seen that happen at least twice: the first time, was just a matter of the crazy ideas the players came up with; second time around, knowing it could happen, I was trying to keep my mouth shut, and this second group bypassed the bulk of the game too, just in a different way.)